Enel X was created in 2017, with the aim of driving the transformation of the energy sector and creating the New Power Economy. By changing the industry paradigms, Enel X helps customers transform energy into New Power, so that they grow, create value and drive progress. An open strategy, based on digitalization, sustainability and innovation. Enel X sees itself as a booster, or rather a circularity accelerator, within the new circular ecosystem of suppliers and customers, carving out an innovative and unique role in the market.
Transforming companies, to discover even more intelligent and innovative ways to make the most of energy, and as such bringing benefits to customers, employees and stakeholders. Transforming cities, reinventing the way they work, giving citizens access to better and faster services, creating a cleaner and more sustainable urban environment. Transforming homes to make them safer and more efficient. Transforming transport, to be able to travel anywhere in a more sustainable and cleaner way, accelerating the revolution of electric mobility.
The goal of Enel X is to offer an open and Commercial offers, and energy-saving products and services 103-2 103-3 DMA EU (former EU24) In all the countries where Enel operates, a vast range of high-energy-performance products has been launched to guarantee savings in terms of both flexible platform, with the aim of generating a system capable of connecting: urban ecosystems, industrial districts and production chains, mobility needs and individuals.
These are connections that take on different forms each time: distribution systems and energy storage batteries, low-energy smart and LED lighting solutions, electric mobility and fast charging services, tools for intelligent energy management and equipment in the homes, buildings and cities, software to control the energy exchange in distributed self-production systems (Demand Management & Reconsumption sponse).
Enel X is structured in four Global Product Lines in order to deliver new solutions and be ready for the future:
- e-City: for public lighting, artisticclighting, energy efficiency, safety andcfiber optics;
- e-Home: for the development of smarter homes, cutting energy consumption and guaranteeing greater well-being, as well as for renewable generation with integrated solutions that also include storage;
- e-Industries: to offer an integrated and tailor-made service to our customers, from strategic consulting to energy monitoring systems and efficiency-related technologies, from distributed generation to the smart use of batteries, as well as island-based and grid-connected microgrid solutions and the most advanced demand response systems;
- e-Mobility: promoting e-mobility with increasingly innovative solutions, through recharging infrastructures, new technologies and second life battery services.
Alongside the four Global Product Lines, the “Innovation & Product Lab” has been created to design, develop and test new products and services, with the contribution of customers.
Enel X has developed a strategy based on creating partnerships and dynamic acquisitions, so as to look ever further and intercept new technologies. Examples of this include:
- Demand Energy Networks - American developer of an advanced software platform for the smart and optimized management of energy storage systems of resources distributed at customer sites;
- EnerNOC - world leader in smart energy management services and in enabling customers to access energy markets through demand response systems; > eMotorWerks - specialized in the supply of charging systems for electric vehicles and solutions that maximize the value of the vehicles themselves, generating revenues from the supply of services to the network. Enel X has clearly directed its long-term strategy towards Demand Side Management services through these acquisitions and in 2018 it established itself as a world leader in the Demand Response market.
In addition, in June 2018 Enel signed an agreement with the Sixth Cinven Fund for the purchase of 21% of the capital of a NewCo set up for the acquisition of Ufinet International, which represents a growth platform in Latin America in the ultra-wideband sector.
Through its subsidiary Enel X Italia, in July 2018 Enel acquired YouSave, an Italian company active in the field of energy efficiency and specialized in services for industries, tertiary and public administration, with a particular focus on energy digitalization.
Among the various innovative projects developed by Enel X during 2018, “JuiceLamp” is the new product that is part of the package of charging solutions for electric vehicles, developed to meet different usage needs: domestic, corporate, for public spaces or included in the urban context. JuiceLamp is a solution that integrates public lighting with the recharging infrastructure: it is an “intelligent streetlight” with LEDs which, in addition to ensuring high efficiency and remote management, also allows two cars to “fill up” at the same time with energy of up to 22 kW of power in alternating current. It is equipped with the best connectivity technology available: it can be activated via the app or a card and is set up for contactless payments.
JuiceLamp can also be integrated with other Enel X products such as video surveillance, air quality monitoring and fiber connectivity or urban WiFi. The solution immediately sparked the interest of the Municipality of Pescara, where the product is being installed; it will be offered in other Italian cities through public tenders.
With different types of pole design, the new product is designed to be integrated into the different contexts (urban, residential, commercial) where it will be installed.
In 2018 the “Energy efficiency for apartment buildings” offer was also launched. Energy efficiency makes it possible to reduce environmental impactand consumption, while saving money on both bills and the cost of redevelopment. Thanks to the Ecobonus, a new concession that is added to the tax deductions already granted for energy efficiency improvements to buildings, it is possible for apartment buildings to transfer the entire amount of the fiscal incentive, leaving them to cover only a small part of the total restructuring costs. This will make it possible for apartment buildings to undergo work that requalifies the entire structure and benefits from a series of advantages: the reduction in consumption and of CO2 emissions, the consequent reduction in costs, as well as the reduction of costs incurred to carry out the work and, last but not least, a proportional increase in the real-estate value due to the energy class improvement.
Enel X’s solution has already been launched for several apartment buildings in the cities of Milan and Turin, and the launch campaign is underway across the country. Finally, Enel X is active in providing various forms of insurance (life insurance, health insurance and damage insurance) and, mainly in South America, in providing financial services, including credit cards.
ENEL X, ACCELERATING CIRCULARITY
Eco-design-focused technological solutions, working on the modularity, repairability and recyclability of products and services offered, as well as on consumption models based on sharing and on the product as a service. This is Enel X’s sustainable innovation: an ever-evolving circular laboratory.
Changing perspective means transitioning from a linear economy to a circular one based on sustainable solutions (renewables, reuse and recycling) and the circular use of assets to maximise their use (through sharing solutions and product as a service) and enhance their in the end-of-life phase.
Enel X positions itself as a circular economy booster, through both an internal and external approach, proposing a program that aims to increase the level of circularity of its solutions and of companies and public administrations. The Circular Economy Boosting Program starts by measuring circularity levels using the Circular Economy Score, with regard to the portfolio of Enel X solutions, and the Site Energy Circularity Assessment, for industrial companies and public administrations. Once the initial situation has been assessed, a robust methodology is applied to identify all the opportunities for boosting circularity.
Circular Economy Score
Enel X has developed the Circular Economy Scoring Mechanism, an innovative method to measure the level of circularity of solutions and products. The result of this evaluation process is the assignment of a circularity score on five levels, the Enel X Circular Economy Score, which is subject to third-party verification and then made available to the end customer.
This score is the starting point of the Enel X Circular Economy Boosting Program on the product portfolio side, which uses a “circular intelligence” activity (analysis of the market context, consumer preferences and competition, scouting of innovations and startups) to produce a list of opportunities for enhancing the solution’s circularity.
The circular opportunities that the technical experts consider to be really interesting and feasible, from a business perspective, are submitted to the Product Line manager, who will decide which should be developed and marketed.
At the end of the boosting process, the solutions under consideration are measured again on the Circular Economy Score, to find out how much their circularity has increased with respect to the starting point.
Circular Economy Clients Report
Enel X also offers its Circular Economy Boosting Program to external clients, in particular to its industrial customers and public administrations, creating an Energy Circular Economy Report. The report provides:
- greater awareness of the energy performance;
- new energy saving opportunities, by identifying potential energy efficiency opportunities, which also bring cost savings through Enel X solutions;
- communication with a greater impact, using robust storytelling of the client’s efforts towards sustainability and the circular economy.
The report, designed for business customers and public administrations, is structured as follows:
a. City or Corporate CE assessment: broad spectrum analysis which, in the case of the public administrations, evaluates the level of energy circularity in the direct management of its real estate assets; in the case of corporate customers, qualitatively evaluates the level of maturity and diffusion of the circular economy principles;
b. Site Energy CE assessment: detailed quantitative analysis applied to a specific site, with a focus on energy aspects;
2. Roadmap for Improvement: a targeted selection of the most suitable solutions in relation to the analyzed site, in order to obtain the maximum circularity score;
3. Energy Circularity Sensitivity and Monitoring: an evaluation of the percentage increase in the level of circularity based on the circular solutions covered by the development plan.